If you are planning to travel outside of the United States, you will need a passport. In South Carolina, the process of obtaining a passport is straightforward. Here’s everything you need to know to apply for a passport in South Carolina.
Step 1: Gather Required Documents
Before you can apply for a passport, you will need to gather the required documents. These include: – A completed DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport – Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or naturalization certificate) – Identification (such as a driver’s license, military ID, or government ID) – A passport photo (which you can either take at home or have taken at a passport acceptance facility)
Step 2: Find a Passport Acceptance Facility
In South Carolina, you can find passport acceptance facilities at post offices, courthouses, and libraries. To find a location near you, use the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page.
Step 3: Submit Your Application
Once you have gathered all of the required documents and found a passport acceptance facility, you can submit your application. The fee for a first-time adult passport is $145, and the fee for a child passport (under age 16) is $115. You can pay by check, money order, or credit card.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to get a passport in South Carolina?
2. Can I renew my passport by mail?
3. What if I need my passport expedited?
4. Can I apply for a passport if I owe back taxes?
5. Can I use my passport card instead of a passport book?
6. Do I need a passport to travel to Canada or Mexico?
7. Can I get a passport if I have a criminal record?
8. Can I get a passport if I owe child support?
9. How long is a passport valid?
10. Can I travel internationally if my passport is about to expire?
Applying for a passport in South Carolina is a simple process that anyone can do. By following the steps outlined above and gathering the required documents, you can obtain a passport and be ready for your international travels.
Tips for a Smooth Passport Application
– Double-check all of your documents before submitting your application to avoid any delays or rejections. – Make sure your passport photo meets the requirements (2×2 inches, white background, no glasses or hats, etc.). – Apply for your passport well in advance of your travel plans to avoid any last-minute rush or stress. – Consider getting a passport card in addition to a passport book if you frequently travel to Canada or Mexico. – Keep your passport in a safe and secure location at all times to avoid theft or loss.
Passport Fees (as of 2023)
|Type of Passport||Fee|
|Adult First-Time Passport Book||$145|
|Adult First-Time Passport Card||$65|
|Child Passport Book (under age 16)||$115|
|Child Passport Card (under age 16)||$50|
|Expedited Service (additional fee)||$60|