Living with an ostomy can be challenging, but with the right products and techniques, it can be manageable. One of the most important products for ostomy care is the ostomy paste, which helps to create a seal between the ostomy pouch and the skin. In this article, we will discuss how to apply ostomy paste in a simple and easy-to-understand way.
What is Ostomy Paste?
Ostomy paste is a thick, sticky substance that is used to create a seal between the skin and the ostomy pouch. It is typically made of a combination of ingredients, such as pectin, gelatin, and carboxymethylcellulose, that help to absorb moisture and create a barrier.
How to Apply Ostomy Paste: Step-by-Step Guide
1. Clean the skin around the stoma with warm water and a mild soap. Dry the area thoroughly with a towel. 2. Squeeze a small amount of ostomy paste onto your finger or onto an applicator. 3. Apply the paste around the stoma, making sure to cover the entire area where the ostomy pouch will attach. 4. Gently press the ostomy pouch onto the paste and hold it in place for a few seconds to ensure a good seal. 5. Smooth out any wrinkles or air pockets in the ostomy pouch to ensure a secure fit. 6. If necessary, use a barrier ring or wafer to further secure the ostomy pouch.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Can ostomy paste be used with any type of ostomy?
Yes, ostomy paste can be used with any type of ostomy, including colostomy, ileostomy, and urostomy.
2. How often should I change the ostomy paste?
You should change the ostomy paste every time you change your ostomy pouch or if the paste becomes wet or loose.
3. Can I swim or shower with ostomy paste?
Yes, ostomy paste is waterproof and can be worn while swimming or showering.
4. Is ostomy paste difficult to remove?
No, ostomy paste can be easily removed with warm water and a mild soap.
5. Can ostomy paste cause skin irritation?
Some people may experience skin irritation from ostomy paste. If this occurs, try using a different brand of paste or speak to your healthcare provider.
6. Can ostomy paste be used with a convex ostomy pouch?
Yes, ostomy paste can be used with a convex ostomy pouch.
7. How much ostomy paste should I use?
You only need to use a small amount of ostomy paste, about the size of a pea.
8. Can I use ostomy paste with a one-piece ostomy pouch?
Yes, ostomy paste can be used with both one-piece and two-piece ostomy pouches.
9. Can ostomy paste be used with a hernia support belt?
Yes, ostomy paste can be used with a hernia support belt.
10. Where can I buy ostomy paste?
Ostomy paste can be purchased at most medical supply stores or online.
Applying ostomy paste may seem intimidating at first, but with practice and patience, it can become a routine part of your ostomy care. Remember to clean the area around the stoma, apply a small amount of paste, and hold the ostomy pouch in place for a few seconds to ensure a good seal. If you have any questions or concerns, speak to your healthcare provider.
– Try using an ostomy paste with a low alcohol content to reduce the risk of skin irritation. – Use a mirror to help you see the area around the stoma more clearly. – If you have trouble applying the ostomy paste, ask a caregiver or healthcare provider for assistance.
|Creates a strong seal||May cause skin irritation in some people|
|Waterproof||Can be difficult to remove|
|Easy to apply||May not work well for all types of ostomies|